Speeding Tickets

The maximum fine for a fixed penalty speeding ticket is currently £60.00. However, if the case goes to court, the maximum fine will be £1000.00 and for offences on the motorway the fine limit is £2500.00. please see our Driving Offence Codes and Penalties Page for more information. The amount of points given usually depends on your record and by how far you exceeded the speeding limit, but the normal amount given is between 3-6 points.

It may be possible to avoid a fine and penalty points on your license by attending a speed awareness course. This course is usually offered to those who have only committed a minor speeding offence, and although you will avoid penalty points and a fine, you will have to pay to attend the course. If you are not offered this course then it is still worth asking for, especially if you already have points on your licence. The police do not have to offer you a speed awareness course, it is entirely up to them and usually they will only offer them to those on their first offence.

If you have been caught speeding, but were not stopped by the police, If you are to attend Court then a Notice of Intended Prosecution must be sent to the registered keeper of the vehicle within 14 days of offence.

If you have been caught speeding and have been issues with a Notice of Intended Prosecution (NIP) then it is very important to seek legal advice, especially if you already have points on your license as you may end up losing you r driving license.

A solicitor can help fight your corner at court on your behalf or prepare you for what is about to happen before hand. If you reasons that you must keep your driving licence then you may be able to argue these reasons so that you avoid losing your driving license on this occasion, although it may cost a couple of hundred points to have legal representation at court, it could be worth if it helps you to keep your driving license.

For more information on Speed Awareness Courses please visit: www.driver-improvement.co.uk


Drink Driving Offence

You can re apply for your driving license only once your driving ban has ended. If you apply any sooner you might have to wait even longer before you can drive again

If this it is your first conviction most insurers will ask if you have any convictions in the last 5 years. But the convictin will stay on your record with the DVLA for over 10 years

Yes. Only a uniformed constable can stop you, they must have goon reason to suspect you have been driving, attempting to drive, or in charge of a vehicle with alcohol in your body or you've committed a motoring offence.

Careless Driving

Careless diriving is when your standard of driving is considered to be below what is expected of a reasonable and prudent driver. You do not have to be driving a motor vehicle to be charged with this offence, you can be driving any mechanically propelled motor vehicle. The driving offence does not have to take place on a public road either, the offence can be committed on any place which the public have access.

It is possible depending on how serious your offence is. You can lose between 3 - 9 points on your license and recieve up to a �2,500 fine. It is always best be represented in court to help avoid losing your license.

It is not compulsory to have a solicitor, but highly advisable to seek some kind of legal advice. If you have a defence a solicitor can help fight your corner.