Potential Drink Driving Defences

Hip Flask Defence

This occurs usually after a collision and the police come to your house and breathalyse you. This could usually be some time after the incident and you may have had a drink or maybe a couple of strong drinks to calm your nerves after a driving collision.

If you can prove to the court that the alcohol level would have been below the legal limit at the time you were driving then you may be able to receive a not guilty verdict, although this can be very difficult to prove. If this could be a possible defence then contact a solicitor who will be able to advise you and arrange for you to be represented at court.

Technical or procedural Error of the Police

You may be unaware of the thorough procedure the police must follow and if you have any suspicion that they have not followed procedure correctly then contact a solicitor for advice as you may be able to have the charge thrown out.

Distance Travelled

This is very unlikely to avoid disqualification, but could help keep your ban to a minimum.

If you only drove your vehicle a very short distance with good reason and can prove that you had no intention to drive any further then you may be able to avoid a disqualification which is unlikely, but you may be able to keep a ban to a minimum.

A solicitor can help you prepare a defence and can arrange for you to be represented at court.


If you drove your vehicle because you were in great fear of physical injury and only drove the vehicle a short distance then you may have a defence and be able to avoid disqualification.

The court will take into account the distance travelled and whether or not you would have been able to avoid the situation without driving if you were sober.

If this is a defence you are relying on the contact a solicitor who will help you prepare your defence and can arrange for you to be represented in court.

Drink Driving Offence

You can re apply for your driving license only once your driving ban has ended. If you apply any sooner you might have to wait even longer before you can drive again

If this it is your first conviction most insurers will ask if you have any convictions in the last 5 years. But the convictin will stay on your record with the DVLA for over 10 years

Yes. Only a uniformed constable can stop you, they must have goon reason to suspect you have been driving, attempting to drive, or in charge of a vehicle with alcohol in your body or you've committed a motoring offence.

Careless Driving

Careless diriving is when your standard of driving is considered to be below what is expected of a reasonable and prudent driver. You do not have to be driving a motor vehicle to be charged with this offence, you can be driving any mechanically propelled motor vehicle. The driving offence does not have to take place on a public road either, the offence can be committed on any place which the public have access.

It is possible depending on how serious your offence is. You can lose between 3 - 9 points on your license and recieve up to a �2,500 fine. It is always best be represented in court to help avoid losing your license.

It is not compulsory to have a solicitor, but highly advisable to seek some kind of legal advice. If you have a defence a solicitor can help fight your corner.