The police are able to randomly stop vehicles but they do not have the power to carry out random initial breathalyser checks. The police must have reason to believe that you are driving or attempting to drive whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Reason that a police officer may suspect you have been drinking are:
- You admit that you have had a drink
- The police office can smell alcohol on your breath
- You have blood shot eyes or your appearance suggest you have consumed alcohol.
- You have slow reactions
- Suspicious or unusual driving.
- Somebody has informed the police that you have been drinking
If you fail to comply with the preliminary breathalyse test a police office may have the power to arrest you.