Drink Driving Police Proceedure

The police are able to randomly stop vehicles but they do not have the power to carry out random initial breathalyser checks. The police must have reason to believe that you are driving or attempting to drive whilst under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Reason that a police officer may suspect you have been drinking are:

  • You admit that you have had a drink
  • The police office can smell alcohol on your breath
  • You have blood shot eyes or your appearance suggest you have consumed alcohol.
  • You have slow reactions
  • Suspicious or unusual driving.
  • Somebody has informed the police that you have been drinking

If you fail to comply with the preliminary breathalyse test a police office may have the power to arrest you.

Drink Driving Offence

You can re apply for your driving license only once your driving ban has ended. If you apply any sooner you might have to wait even longer before you can drive again

If this it is your first conviction most insurers will ask if you have any convictions in the last 5 years. But the convictin will stay on your record with the DVLA for over 10 years

Yes. Only a uniformed constable can stop you, they must have goon reason to suspect you have been driving, attempting to drive, or in charge of a vehicle with alcohol in your body or you've committed a motoring offence.

Careless Driving

Careless diriving is when your standard of driving is considered to be below what is expected of a reasonable and prudent driver. You do not have to be driving a motor vehicle to be charged with this offence, you can be driving any mechanically propelled motor vehicle. The driving offence does not have to take place on a public road either, the offence can be committed on any place which the public have access.

It is possible depending on how serious your offence is. You can lose between 3 - 9 points on your license and recieve up to a �2,500 fine. It is always best be represented in court to help avoid losing your license.

It is not compulsory to have a solicitor, but highly advisable to seek some kind of legal advice. If you have a defence a solicitor can help fight your corner.